Skip to main content.


This is the archive for January 2007

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Awhile back we decided to occasionally share some of the stories of the soldiers of the 18th. When I did a post earlier this week on Timothy Ingraham, I realized we had not done it and awhile and thought I would start it up again with William Ingraham, Timothy’s son.

William Milford Ingraham: born in Cleveland, Ohio on July 9, 1842, the son of Lt. Colonel Timothy Ingraham, 18th Mass. Infantry and Sarah Jane Smith. He was a 20 year old Clerk from New Bedford, MA, when he enlisted on August 11, 1861 and was mustered into the 18th Mass. Infantry on August 24, 1861 as Commisary Sergeant for the Regiment.

Per military records he stood 5 ft. 7 in. tall, with a dark complexion, brown eyes, and dark hair. He was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant on April 3, 1862 and transferred to Company G. Ingraham was engaged with the Regiment in 1862 at Second Bull Run, Antietam, and Shepherdstown. He was promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant on Nov. 1, 1862, but was not mustered and was mustered out as a Second Lieutenant when discharged at Washington, DC due to disability on Feb. 23, 1863. Ingraham had been absent from the regiment due to disability from Nov. 30, 1862, when he submitted his resignation, advising that he applied for duty with the Department of New England.


Following his discharged Ingraham was assigned to the Quartermaster's department at Port Royal, South Carolina until 1866. He was transferred to the United States Marshall's Office in 1866 and remained in that capacity until 1869 when he moved to St. Augustine, Fla., where he operated a wholesale and retail paint store. Ingraham also served, for a period of time, as Chief for the City's Fire Department. He married Margarita Helena Tomas, the daughter of Henry and Benita, in St. Augustine, Fla. on Oct. 16, 1864. They had no birth children, but adopted a daughter, Jennie Keenan, born ca. 1881.

Ingraham applied for an Invalid pension on August 15, 1892, based on disability due to rheumatism. After being initally rejected, he was granted initail benefits of $8.00 per month commencing Sept. 15, 1896. He was a member of the H.W. Chatfield Grand Army of the Republic, Post No. 11 in St. Augustine. Ingraham died of general debility at his home, 59 Marine St., St. Augustine, FLA on July 9, 1909 and was interred at the St. Augustine National Cemetery, Plot B, Grave Number 405. His wife Margarita applied for a Widow's pension on August 7, 1909 and was issued initial benefits of $12 per month under Certificate #: 689866. Margarita Ingraham died at St. Augustine on Nov. 3, 1920 and was interred beside her husband in the National Cemetery, grave 406.

From a book titled "Souvenir Sketches" written on illustrious citizens, p. 439-40
W. Milford Ingraham belongs to a somewhat remarkable family - not remarkable for what their ancestors have done, but for what those living or recently dead have accomplished. His father, Timothy Ingraham, was a prominent federal general in the late war...

W. Milford Ingraham, the subject of this sketch, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, July 9, 1842. He attended private school in New Bedford, Mass until he was thirteen, but at this early age he concluded to go to sea, went into the merchant marine service, and was in this service for four years. He was all around the world during this time, doing his duty like a faithful seaman and certainly taking in all the strange sights of the strange lands he visited. In the winter of 1859-60 the vessel he was on coming from the Sandwich Islands to San Francisco, he got leave of absence to go home to see his parents. He got home just at the breaking out of the war and enlisted in the Eighteenth Massachusetts, becoming commissary sergeant of his Regiment, and being afterwards promoted to second, then first lieutenant. He served till February, 1863, whn he was discharged by the medical board. He was in the second battle of Bull Run and at Antietam and in smaller engagements about this time. He came south in 1863 to Port Royal, South Carolina, where he was engaged in the Quartermaster's department and remained there till 1866. He was then transferred to the United States marshal's department and remained in it till 1869. He moved to St. Augustine during the last named year and opened a wholesale and retail paint store, which he has continued since.

October 16, 1864, he married Miss Margarita Tomas, daughter of Henry Tomas, of St. Augustine. This is one of the old Spanish families of the "ancient city," the family being among the founders of the city.

Mr. Ingraham is a Democrat, and takes some interest in politics, but never to the extent of seeking the "sovereign vote" for himself. He takes an active interest in the improvement of the city, being now president of the board of alderman and also chief engineer of the fire department. There are but few if any men in the State who stand higher than Mr. Ingraham in the various orders. He is past chancellor commander of the Knights of Pythias; past post commander of the Grand Army of the Republic; past master workman of the Ancient Order of United Workman, and is an enthusiastic Mason, having taking all the degrees in the Ancient York Rite up to and including the Knight Templar, and in the Scottish Rite he has taken all up to and including the thirty-third.

Monday, January 22, 2007

One of the nicest things we get to experience due to our website is contact from other descendants of the 18th Mass.

Shannon is a great example. A few years ago she sent us a rather in depth biography of William and Timothy Ingraham. We had them and the associated pictures she had sent as part of our old website and noticed they had not been ported over to the new site (mainly because I can’t figure out what I want the website to be).

Not to be deterred by my laziness, she sent me a link to a fantastic page of paintings that included oil prints of Timothy and his wife Jane. The paintings were part of a rather extensive exhibition at Kent State on “Fashion on the Ohio Frontier”. It shows a much younger soldier than the one I have come to know. And it also shows how some of the strangest connections can bring you further information on a soldier.

Portrait of Jane Wolverton Ingraham
Oil on board by Jarvis F. Hanks (1799-1853),
Cleveland, Ohio, 1838.
Collection of the Western Reserve Historical Society, 55.415.

Portrait of Timothy Ingraham
Oil on board by Jarvis F. Hanks (1799-1853),
Cleveland, Ohio, 1838.
Collection of the Western Reserve Historical Society, 55.414.

And here is a picture that Shannon provided those few years ago

Timothy Ingraham: Born December 5, 1810, New Bedford, MA, the son of Timothy and Sarah (Coggeshall) Ingraham and father of William H. Ingraham, who served as Quartermaster of the 18th Mass. Infantry. He married Jane Sarah Smith at New Bedford on Jan. 29, 1831. In 1836-37, while a resident at Cleveland, Ohio was Secretary-Treasurer of the Mutual Protecting Society. At the outbreak of hostilities Ingraham was a merchant residing in New Bedford.

He first served as a Captain with Co. L, 3rd Massachusetts Infantry, from May 8, 1861 this three month regiment seeing duty at Fort Monroe and the Hampton, Virginia area until July 22, 1861, when the regiment was mustered out of service. Ingraham was next commissioned as a Lt. Colonel with the 18th Massachusetts Infantry on July 26, 1861. He was engaged with the Regiment during the Peninsula Campaign, including the siege of Yorktown in 1862, before being granted a leave of absence due to illness on June 7, 1862.

Ingraham resigned his commission with the 18th Massachusetts shortly before July 18, 1862 in order to accept promotion to the rank of Colonel and command of the 38th Massachusetts Infantry. This regiment saw garrison duty at Baltimore as part of the 8th Army Corps from the time of its muster on August 24, 1862 until January 1863, when it was transferred to the 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division of the 19th Corps, Department of the Gulf. During their time in Baltimore, Ingraham was Provost Marshall General of Defences North of the Potomac River. Ingraham was in command of the 1st Brigade, 3rd Brigade during the battle of Port Hudson, LA from May 21 to July 9, 1863.

The regiment was later assigned to the Army of the Shenandoah from February 1864 to January 1865, when it was assigned to the 3rd Brigade, Grover's Division, Dept. of the South, and finally in March 1865 to the 3rd Brigade, 1st Division of the 10th Army Corps, Dept. of North Carolina. The regiment was mustered out of service in June 1865.

Ingrham was breveted as a Brigadier General of U.S. Volunteers for "faithful and meritorious service" on October 2, 1865. Following his military service Ingraham worked as a customs official and was Deputy Governor of the Central Branch of the National Soliders Home for Disabled Veteran Soldiers in Dayton, Ohio from 1867-1868, before returning to the Boston area.

The Timothy Ingraham G.A.R. Post No. 121 in Hyde Park, MA was named for him. Ingraham died at Boston Highlands, MA on Feb. 26, 1876 and was interred at the Rural Cemetery, New Bedford, MA, Section NW Circle, Lot 230.